I finally completed my first battalion for my 1672 project. As I posted earlier, it's regiment Vivarais (with azure coats because that's what my Susane print shows). Also, at this time it was Regiment D'Albret. You never realize how much bloody detail is on these figures until you paint them. I finished and based the pike stands about two days before I completed the musketeers. Those bandoliers are tedious.
This is a good start to the project—along with the rules Pike & Periwig that are progressing along. What's nice about having the unit painted is that I get a better feel for how my ideas actually translate to figures and bases.
The possible formations for an infantry regiment are spelled out on page 11 of my rules:
My inspiration for the page was Bill Protz' set of English Civil War rules (Wargamers Guide to the English Civil War) where he used similar diagrams:
It's funny how those diagrams (and the letters PEP DOS) have stayed in my head for more than 30 years...
These diagrams also nicely represent the look of 17th c. drill manuals:
Which is the feel I'm going for with the rules. The formations, now that I can actually try them out, are Line:
And March Order:
Next up is a squadron of cavalry and some guns. I will also clean and prime another unit of foot. I may get ambitious and get two ready. I think I'll go with two battalions of the Regiment Picardie (in actual gray coats). I have the flags coming from GMB Designs.
I also have two partially-painted Savoyard battalions that I started a long time back when Bill Stewart, Rich Knapton, Doug Hamm, and I were conspiring on an earlier version of this project. So far, only one stand of pikes is completed and based:
This is on a single 60mm x 60mm base, so I'll rebase them on two 60mm x 30mm bases. I also need to replace my home-brewed flag with one of the ones that I found recently.